St. Fintan's High School

Our History

On the 8th of September 1943, St. Fintan’s High School opened its doors for the first time to a student enrolment of 48 boys and a teaching staff of 5 Christian Brothers.

In those days St. Fintan’s High School was a fee paying preparatory and secondary school, with fees ranging from 6 to 12 guineas, depending on the standard of the pupil! It’s location on the Burrow Road ensured that the students of the time forever associated their school days with the sun, the seascape and the freedom of the beach.

In September 1972, and following various transformations, St. Fintan’s High School commenced life as a secondary school on its new site overlooking Dublin Bay where it remains to this present day. To learn more about the history or our school, I would recommend reading our soon to be published ‘History of St. Fintan’s High School’ which will go on sale shortly. Written by Mr. Shane Gilleran, a History and Geography teacher in the school, it is a wonderful record of the origins and evolution of St. Fintan’s. Shane’s book describes the contributions made by brothers, principals, deputy principals, teachers, students, past pupils, boards of management, parents and the surrounding community to the development and growth of the school since 1943. Decade by decade, it details the challenges and opportunities experienced by our local community and society at the time, as well as the corresponding events, progression and transformation of the school. It provides a wonderful insight into the lives of our past pupils and the fond memories they have of their life at St. Fintan’s.

Today, St. Fintan’s is under the Trusteeship of ERST, the Edmund Rice Schools Trust (Click here for ERST Charter) and has over 700 students and 50 teachers. Much has changed since 1943; however, it is clear that the traditions and core values of St. Fintan’s High School are not too far removed from those that prevailed during the ‘Burrow Days


download pdf